- The next Australian Voltron Force DVD, "Voltron Force -- Volume 3: Secret Origins", is scheduled for release on November 1. (Cover right; click to view larger size version).
The DVD will retail for $19.99 and will comprise of Episodes 14-20 of the series.
- Issue #6 of the Voltron comic is now available, having been released a couple of days ago. The issue features some preview artwork by the comic's new artist, N Steven Harris, who will be taking over art duties from the next issue.
- The Australian "Voltron Force -- Volume 2: Powers Unlocked" DVD is now available, having been released today. I hope to have details and screenshots from the DVD up by the weekend.
- As I mentioned back in April, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) would be airing the original Voltron series in Australia this year. At the time I was told it would start airing in May, however it will begin airing this Saturday (June 30) on ABC3 at 8:45PM, starting with Vehicle Voltron Episode 1 "In Search Of New Worlds".
Interestingly it will be broadcast with English subtitles/closed captions for the deaf and hearing impaired.
- Forgot to mention this until now, but Issue #5 of the Voltron comic is now available, having been released over a week ago. If you cannot obtain a physical copy, you can purchase a digital copy from Comixology.com.
- The cover to the up-coming Australian "Voltron Force -- Powers Unlocked" DVD has been released (pictured right; click to view larger size version). The cover is not quite finalised yet as the "PG" classification logo has yet to be slapped on to it.
The DVD will contain Episodes 7-13 of the series, and is slated for release on June 27, not June 29 as previously reported.
- Looks like Beyond Home Entertainment will be releasing more episodes of "Voltron Force" on DVD in Australia as Voltron.com has reported that Beyond will be releasing another DVD entitled "Voltron Force -- Volume 2: Powers Unlocked" on June 29.
Cover art for the DVD should be released pretty soon. I'll post an update on that front when it happens.
- The Australian "Voltron Force -- New Defenders Trilogy" DVD courtesy of Beyond Home Entertainment is now available, having been released yesterday. It contains the first six episodes of the series, not seven as I (erroneously) reported last month, and contains no extra features.
If you're outside of Australia and would like to purchase the DVD, your best bet would be order it from EzyDVD, who ship internationally, or eBay Australia. Do note, however, that the DVD is PAL-formatted and Region 4 encoded, so you'll need PAL and Region 4 compatable DVD/blu-ray players to play the disc.
There is no word yet if Beyond Home Entertainment plan on releasing the rest of the series. I'll post an update should they decide to release the rest of the series.
- Issue #2 of the "Voltron: Year One" comic is now available in comic stores. If you're unable to obtain any physical copies, you can purchase a digital copy from Comixology.
- "Voltron Force" is now available for purchase from the Australian iTunes store, however not all episodes are online yet. Also, the store is only offering SD versions of the episodes and they, unlike the U.S. store's offering, do not contain closed captions.
Apologies for the lack of updates over the past few months. My interest in Voltron recently waned due to my disappointment with "Voltron Force" and the new comic from Dynamite, resulting me in losing the drive to work on and maintain the site. Anyway, on with today's news...
- "Voltron Force" is coming to DVD in Australia courtesy of Beyond Home Entertainment in a single-disc release titled "Voltron Force -- New Defenders Trilogy" (cover pictured right). Despite the title of the disc, the DVD will actually feature the first seven episodes of the series.
The DVD, which has a RRP of $19.99, will have a 5.1 track and seemingly no extra features. No word yet if Beyond Home Entertainment has plans to release the rest of the series on DVD.
I believe this DVD is the first official home video release of the series anywhere in the world. As an Australian, I also note with amusement that not only is Australia getting a DVD release of "Voltron Force" before the U.S. does, Australia got a DVD release of the original series before the U.S. did.
- In what is surprising news to me, the original Voltron series will start airing in Australia very shortly courtesy of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) network. No word yet what the air date is (or which of their multichannels the show will be broadcast on), though I'm told it will be sometime in May. I'll post an update with broadcast details once I get confirmed air dates.
Incidentally, ABC started showing "Voltron Force" in Australia yesterday. The show will be broadcast every Sunday at 6:40am on ABC3. ABC will put each episode online for thirty days on their iView website after they've aired. (Note: iView is only viewable within Australia)
- The up-coming Classic Voltron and Voltron Force toys from Mattel have been unveiled at the San Diego Comic Con. You can see pics of them here and here.
Credit for image on the right goes to Toy News International.
- The Lion Voltron series has been re-released on DVD in Australia in a "Voltron -- Complete Lion Force Collection" boxset courtesy of Beyond Home Entertainment.
The DVD contains the remastered version of the series, marking the first time the remastered version of the series has been released Down Under. Oddly though, Episode 10 "Secret Of The White Lion" is for some reason presented in unremastered form.
I've put up details and screenshots from the DVD. The extra features that are featured on the DVD have been ported from the U.S. DVDs.
- Nicktoons have launched their own "Voltron Force" website. It contains some pictures, character bios, a flash-based "Voltron Force" game, and several promo clips (which are geo-locked to the U.S. only).
- One of the producers of the original Voltron series, Franklin Cofod, is taking questions from fans regarding the series on the Official Voltron Forum.
- Mattel's up-coming Classic Voltron figure has been unveiled by G4tv.com. The figure will be available for purchase at this year's San-Diego Comic Con.
- The original Voltron series is getting a DVD re-release this August courtesy of Classic Media. TVshowsonDVD.com have published an article regarding the new release and the extra features that will be featured on it. TVshowsonDVD.com have also published an apparent mock-up cover of the DVD.
- Nicktoons have released a promo for "Voltron Force". Don't get too excited, though ... the promo contains no footage from the series and is just primarily of kids dancing to a hip-hop song.
Nicktoons have also released two images of Voltron from the new series. They can be found at the top of the linked page and under the 'Iron-on printable' subheading. I personally am not digging the new look of Voltron at all.
"Voltron Force" will premiere on
Nickelodeon Nicktoons on Thursday June 16, 2011.
- Disappointingly, the Media Blasters "Voltron: Fleet Of Doom" blu-ray has been cancelled. No official reason has been given for the cancellation. On their Facebook page, Media Blasters are claiming that Dairugger XV Collection 3 will be the last of their Voltron-related releases until further notice and that World Events Productions will have another company release "Fleet Of Doom" on blu-ray.
I'll keep you updated on any further news or developments regarding the "Fleet Of Doom" blu-ray.
- On the Ask Matty Q&A forum, Mattel stated that the "Voltron Force" toys will be revealed at the San Diego Comic-Con in July.
- After months of seemingly never-ending delays, the "Dairugger XV -- Collection 3" DVD is finally available!
The DVD can be purchased from the Voltron.com webstore or Right Stuf. Other retail stores should have the DVD in stock soon now that stocks appear to be slowly making their way to them.
For those that don't know, the DVD was originally supposed to be released in September last year but was hit by repeated delays. To the annoyance of many, no official reason has been given by Media Blasters for the delay. It's generally believed that the reason for the delay was due to Media Blasters ending self-distribution of their titles and hiring another company, Allegro Media Group, to handle the distribution duties.
- The Official Voltron Facebook Page has posted an image of the cover to this month's issue of KidScreen magazine, which features a silhouetted Voltron and the Robot Lions from "Voltron Force" on it.
I'm still not digging the designs of the Lions, however the Blazing Sword on Black Lion's crest is quite a cool touch.
- An image of the Lions from the up-coming "Voltron Force" series has been released, courtesy of the Official Voltron Facebook Page. You can check out the image right here (a Facebook account is not required to see the pic). I, personally, am not digging the designs of the Lions.
- A company called Incubot have released a nifty-looking Voltron USB flash drive. As shown in the image on the right, the phyiscal design of the flash drive is of everyone's favourite defender of the universe. Details regarding the 3.5" PVC flash drive include:
-- 2GB drive
-- Comes with a Blazing Sword accesory
-- Light-up chest shield
-- LV Ep 4 "The Missing Key" comes pre-loaded
If the flash drive sells well enough Incubot may also release flash drives of Vehicle Voltron and a (random) Robeast. I've got my fingers crossed for that!
First off, apologies for the lack of updates over the last couple of months. I've been too busy and too tired to post updates during that period. I'm hoping to rectify that and post updates more often, especially with the up-coming new series "Voltron Force" now in production. That now aside, onwards with today's news/updates:
- 5Finity Productions, in association with Moonstone Books and World Events productions, will be releasing a Voltron art book entitled "Voltron: United and Drawn" (see right for the cover). According to the official product description, the book will feature official artwork, original artwork, fan memories, celebrity testimonials and more. The book is up for pre-order at the Voltron.com webstore and Amazon.com. The book is slated for a winter release, with the Amazon listing for the book showing a January 4, 2011 release date.
- The "DaiRugger XV -- Collection 3" DVD and the "Voltron: Fleet Of Doom" blu-ray, both of which were supposed to be released on the 28th of this month, have been delayed. The "DaiRugger XV -- Collection 3" DVD will now be released on October the 26th while the "Voltron: Fleet Of Doom" blu-ray will now be released on November the 16th. I've been told that now-resolved contract issues is the reason why the "Voltron: Fleet Of Doom" blu-ray was delayed, however I do not know why "DaiRugger XV -- Collection 3" has been delayed.
- The "Armored Fleet DaiRugger XV -- Collection 3" DVD will be released on the 28th of September. The cover (right) has just been released and can be seen in higher resolution on the DVD's Amazon listing.
Interestingly, also coming out on September 28 is "Voltron: Fleet Of Doom" on blu-ray! The blu-ray disc is already listed on Amazon, however no cover art has been released yet. I'm trying to find out if the blu-ray will be multi-region or locked to Region A. For the sake of non-US Voltron fans (such as myself; I live in Australia) I'm hoping the disc'll be multi-region.
- Voltron.com and the Hollywood Reporter have reported that the Executive Producer of the original Voltron cartoon series, the larger-than-life Peter Keefe, has sadly passed away.
The 57-year old died on May 27 of throat cancer, which he had been battling for a long time.
My condolences to his family.
- Even though the official release date for the "Armored Fleet DaiRugger XV -- Collection 2" DVD is May 25, the Voltron.com webstore started shipping the DVD to customers last week in an apparent store exclusive.
I received the DVD today and hope to have screenshots from it up in a couple of days.
- The Lion Force Voltron 2-part DVD sets are now available.
- The Golion Complete Chronology DVD set is now available in stores, having been released a couple of days ago.
- According to the following article on TVShowsOnDVD.com, "Voltron: The Third Dimension" will be getting a DVD release sometime during U.S. summer (June to August) this year:
But the very latest news is that World Events Productions tells us to let fans know to be on the lookout soon for a 3-DVD release of Voltron: The Third Dimension. When? Summer 2010! We'll have detailed news about that release soon, and - according to WEP, anyway - possibly some "other surprises".
I'll keep you updated on any further news pertaining to the V3D DVD release.
- While browsing through Kickstart Entertainment's website a couple of nights ago, I came across the following image (which can be found in the "Development" section):
Curious as to wether it was a publicity picture or a concept design picture, I inquired about it to the Voltron.com admin. His response was that the picture was a concept design pic and not a final one by any means. On the Official Voltron.com forum, he further added that the picture is from an old temporary pitch pack and is just a place holder image that will eventually be removed.
So given that it's basically discarded concept art and a piece of interest, I thought I'd post it for those who might be interested in seeing it.
- After several years of being stuck in development hell, a new Voltron animated series is on the way! The Nicktoons television channel has announced that it will be airing an up-coming new Voltron cartoon series as part of their 2010-2011 programming slate. There's no publicity images or further details about the new series at this stage, other than that it's title "Voltron Panthera Force" is only a tentative title and won't be the show's actual title.
I'll keep you updated on any further news pertaining to the new series.
- The cover to the DaiRugger XV Collection 2 DVD has been revealed by the Voltron.com forum admin. The cover can be seen in the Voltron.com Exclusive! Dairugger Vol.2 Cover Art! thread of the Official Voltron.com forum.
While the art is nicely done, I'm personally not digging the cover as it, in my opinion, is too generic and doesn't really give any casual shoppers any idea what the DVD is about.
The DVD is still scheduled for release on May the 25th.
- The "Armored Fleet DaiRugger XV -- Collection 2" DVD will be released on the 25th of May. No cover art has been released yet, however the DVD is already up for pre-order at Amazon. The DVD has a recommended retail price of $34.99.
- Media Blasters will be releasing the entire Lion Voltron series across 2-part DVD sets. Both sets will be released on the 4th of May. The Voltron.com admin has posted the covers to both sets in the Voltron: Lion Force DVD Collection coming May 4 thread of the Voltron.com forum.
Both sets are up for pre-order at Amazon. The listing for the first set can be found here while the listing for the second set can be found here. Both sets have a recommended retail price of $49.99 each.
- Media Blasters will be releasing the Golion series in a complete series DVD set. The set, titled "Beast King Golion -- Complete Chronology", will be released on the 13th of April, and has a recommended retail price of $69.99. The Voltron.com admin has posted the DVD set's front and back cover in the Beast King Go Lion Collection Cover Art! thread on the Voltron.com forum.
The DVD set is already up for pre-order on Amazon.
- Even though the official release date for the "Armored Fleet DaiRugger XV -- Collection 1" DVD is February 23, the Voltron.com store started shipping the DVD to customers last week in an apparent store exclusive.
I received the DVD this afternoon and hope to have screenshots from it up in a day or so.
- A company called 5finity Productions will be releasing a line of collectable Voltron sketch cards (such as the one on the right) next month on the 15th. The release will be a limited run of 1,299 card packs, however 999 of the packs that 5finity had set aside for dealers have already pre-sold out. The remaining 300 packs will be sold on the Voltron.com webstore. The packs will cost $22.95 each.
Check out the Voltron Sketch Cards coming Feb.15 thread on the Voltron.com forum for more details and some images of the cards. Some of my favourite cards so far are:
- CollectionDX.com have reported that Toynami will be releasing a vinyl Vehicle Voltron figure. According to the report, the 9" tall figure is due for release in April and will have a recommended retail price of $35.99. The figure is already up for pre-order at BBTS.com.
The figure looks terrific. Hopefully it sells well enough to encourage Toynami to produce a much-wanted Masterpiece Vehicle Voltron.