Having escaped from Planet Doom, Keith and the rest of the space explorers crash-land on Planet Arus. They eventually find their way to the royal castle, which is known as the Castle of Lions. There they meet Princess Allura and Coran and learn more about the backstory of Voltron, the events that lead to his being taken out of commission, and Zarkon's subsequent invasion of Arus. The space explorers pledge to protect Planet Arus and become known as the Voltron Force!
WRITTEN BY:Jameson Brewer
TIMED BY: Jack Shaw
STORY EDITOR: Stan Oliver
ORIGINAL AIR DATE: September 11, 1984
- This episode marks the first appearances of Princess Allura and Coran.
- The Galaxy Garrison conference room scene was originally scripted to take place in a different room
than the one seen in the episode.
Footage from Vehicle Voltron Episode 2 “First Day On A New World” was intended to be lifted and used for the
originally scripted version of the scene. Footage from Vehicle Voltron Episode 1 “In Search Of New Worlds” was
lifted and used instead. Had the originally scripted version of the meeting been used Marshal
Graham would not have appeared in this episode.
As a result of the change, Commander Steele's dialogue in the originally scripted version was given
to Marshal Graham for the final version of the scene, which explains why Graham appears to speak
with Steele's voice in the episode.
- It was originally Keith, not Coran, who was to bestow the name of Voltron Force upon the space
explorers. (See Alternate/Altered lines)
- The Episode 3 preview has noticeable audio differences between the U.S. DVD's 2.0 and 5.1 tracks:
- The narrator's lines "Pidge attacks evil King Zarkon's army alone and must be rescued by the Voltron Force. To save their friend Pidge, the Voltron Force use four of the five magical Lions" and "Don't miss the next exciting episode of Voltron -- Defender Of The Universe!" are placed slightly differently on both the 2.0 and 5.1 tracks
- The narrator's lines "But the evil Commander Yurak vows to conquer them", "Or will they be vanquished by the forces of Doom?", and "Lasers blazing, Lions roaring! Can these young space explorers meet the challenge?" are not present on the 5.1 track
- Yurak's lines "What is this?!" and "Fire, fools, fire!" are not present on the 2.0 track. His yell when he realises the Lions are coming in to attack is not present on the 2.0 track either.
- Hunk's line "Here's one from me to you!" is not present on the 2.0 track.
- The 5.1 track contains the scene's audio as presented in the episode itself, but the 2.0 track doesn't and has the Voltron theme playing over the scene instead. The last few beats of the Voltron theme plays at the end of the 5.1 track though to bring the preview to an end on a high note.
When Voltron was dubbed from Golion, the series suffered a number of edits, mostly to remove material that was considered objectionable or inappropriate for Voltron. However, some of the deleted material was intended to be featured in the series only to wind up on the cutting room floor anyway. This section details what deleted material was intended to be featured in "Escape To Another Planet". Also detailed here are lines of dialogue that was scripted (and likely recorded) but not present in the episode.
- In the originally scripted version of the Garrison conference room scene, Commander Steele had one
extra line after noting Zarkon won't give up trying to capture the space explorers: “He knows he
must stop them at any cost – or face the mighty robot!”.
Also deleted from the end of the scene was another line of dialogue from Steele where he worriedly
says of the space explorers: “They must survive the crash -- and locate Voltron...or we lose
- Before telling his friends to eject as the Doom ship is about to crash into the mountain, Keith
originally had an extra line: “Buckle up. No way to miss this one.”
- A close-up shot of Keith after he says it's a long hike across the desert was deleted.
- Deleted from the extreme close-up of Keith after a second round of spears are thrown from the cave was a line from the commander in which he yells toward the cave: “Don't run!”
- Keith's line “That castle is the place to start” was originally prefaced by another line from him that
wound up being deleted: “We've got to find Voltron.”
- Keith's dialogue “It's the castle!” upon the space explorers reaching the Castle of Lions originally had an extra line at the end of it: “We made it!”
- Deleted from the start of the scene where the space explorers first meet Coran was a very brief
moment where Hunk and Keith speak to Coran. The brief moment as presented in the script (which
occurs right after Coran says Arus has been devastated by Zarkon's forces):
"But we want to be friends!"
"This is it?"
- A shot of Coran nodding solemnly again after Keith says “You mean Voltron?” was deleted.
- Deleted from the shot of the space mice retreating into a hole in the castle wall after spotting
Zarkon's ships was a voice over line from Allura where she says in alarm: “Zarkon's attacking again.”
- After Coran admires the Voltron Force uniforms, a brief sequence where Sven and Hunk remark on
their uniforms followed by Lance reminding everyone of Zarkon's ships bearing down on the Castle of
Lions was deleted. The sequence as presented in the script:
"How do I look?"
"Zarkon's planes are on top of
What are we going to do
The completed animation of this sequence actually shows Lance, not Sven, putting his hand behind
his helmet, and that it's Sven, not Lance, in the “two shot” of him and Keith. It appears writer
Jameson Brewer got the uniformed Sven and uniformed Lance mixed up when scripting the episode.
If the lines were ever recorded as scripted, then Brewer's mistake may be the reason why the
sequence was deleted.
- In the shot of Lance and Keith after the camera pans to them following Pidge's “Far out!” remark, a
line from Sven was deleted: “Let's do it!”.
Since Brewer got the uniformed Lance and uniformed Sven mixed up in the script, the line was cut
from the shot as the completed animation showed Lance, not Sven, speaking. Frames showing
Lance's mouth moving was edited out.
Some lines of dialogue were originally scripted differently. This section details the noteworthy differences.
- Keith's line “Commander Keith to Galaxy Garrison!” was originally scripted as: “Voltron Force to
The line was changed because the space explorers had yet to become the Voltron Force at that point
of the episode.
Additionally, in the revised draft of the script, Keith's follow-up line “We're crash-landing on Planet
Arus.” was originally scripted as: “We're landing on Planet Arus...in flames!”
- Keith's line “The Planet Arus has been nearly destroyed by Zarkon -- but the palace is sill standing. Okay, team, this is as far as we go!” was originally scripted as: “The Planet Arus has been nearly destroyed by Zarkon -- but the palace is still standing. But where's Voltron – he must be here too. It's up to us to find him -- and save this world!”
The line was once again re-written in the revised draft of the script as: “The planet has been shot to pieces by King Zarkon but we saw the palace still standing! Maybe we can find Voltron, too! We know how to assemble him and he could save us from another attack by Zarkon! Wish us luck! 10-40!”
- Hunk's line “How about food?” was originally scripted as: “How 'bout pizza?”
- In the shot of Hunk flipping in the air and grabbing one of the spears that was shot at him, his line
“I'll get ya!” was originally scripted to just be a wordless yell.
Additionally, his next line “Come on, I'll take you all on!” was originally scripted as: “C'mon -- take you all on!”
Furthermore, his next line “Some welcome you're giving us! We came to help. Come out and fight!”
was originally scripted as: “Some friends you are! We came to help. We're gonna help ya -- like it or
- Hunk's line “How can you help someone who doesn't help themselves?” was originally scripted as:
“How can you help someone who doesn't want help?”
- Hunk's line “It'd be a lot easier with some food or a space burger place around!” was originally
scripted as: “It'd be a lot easier with a pizza or a hamburger place around!”
- Lance's line “But that's what we've gotta do -- help each other.” was originally scripted as: “Voltron's
our only hope – and it's up to us to find him!”
- Yurak's line “I know those five explorers somehow managed to land safely!” was originally scripted
as: “I know those five earthlings somehow managed to land safely.”
- Sven's line “This is our only chance of finding the key to the secret of Voltron!” was originally
scripted as: “This is our only chance of finding the secret of Voltron!”
- Keith's line “We just escaped from his slave dungeon and he knows we're here!” was originally
scripted as: “We just escaped from his castle dungeon and he knows we're here!”
- Pidge's line “She's beautiful!” was originally scripted as: “She's gorgeous!”
- Coran's line “If he was alive we'd know how to activate the invincible robot.” was originally scripted
as: “If he was alive we'd know how to activate the great robot.”
- Coran's line “Although we still have Voltron scattered scattered in five parts like sleeping lions, we
don't have King Alfor who knew the secret to Voltron. He would have known how to reassemble the
five Lions.” was originally scripted as: “So we still have Voltron...scattered in five parts. But we don't
have King Alfor who knew the secret to Voltron. He would have known how to reassemble the five
- Some of the dialogue in the scene where Coran bestows the name of Voltron Force upon the space
explorers was originally a bit different. The original dialogue shows that it was Keith, not Coran,
who was to bestow the name of Voltron Force upon the space explorers.
The original dialogue as presented in the script:
- Haggar's lines “You'll have fun then, my evil pet. You'll have them for dinner!” was originally scripted
as: “We'll have some fun then, my evil pet.”
- Pidge's line “Suit up!” was originally scripted as: “Well, suit up!”