Having heard of Voltron's resurrection, one of Allura's former carers, Nanny, returns to the Castle of Lions after many years of absence. However, she is displeased to learn that Allura is attempting to learn how to fly the Blue Lion. Believing that Allura has no place flying the Blue Lion, Nanny sets out to a nearby village in search of a suitable replacement only to get caught up in a rampage by King Zarkon's latest Robeast. When the Voltron Force have trouble battling the Robeast, Allura launches the Blue Lion to help them and save Nanny.
WRITTEN BY: Stan Oliver
TIMED BY: Muriel Germano
ORIGINAL AIR DATE: September 18, 1984
- This episode marks the first appearance of Nanny.
- The close-up shot of Hunk stretching before his pants fall down was not intended to be shown twice.
- This episode has some noticeable audio differences between the U.S. DVD's 2.0 and 5.1 tracks:
- In the shot of Blue Lion on the monitor, the sound effect of Blue Lion smashing through the trees is not present on the 2.0 track.
- In the establishing shot of the Castle of Lions after the scene of Allura being smacked by Nanny, there's an odd sound effect audible on the 2.0 track but not the 5.1 track.
- In the establishing shot of the final scene, the second piece of music that plays starts with a fade in on the 2.0 track but starts at normal level on the 5.1 track.
When Voltron was dubbed from Golion, the series suffered a number of edits, mostly to remove material that was considered objectionable or inappropriate for Voltron. However, some of the deleted material was intended to be featured in the series only to wind up on the cutting room floor anyway. This section details what deleted material was intended to be featured in "The Lion Has New Claws". Also detailed here are lines of dialogue that was scripted (and likely recorded) but not present in the episode.
- Coran's line regarding Allura as he runs into the control room was originally a bit longer: “It's Her
Majesty -- my goodness!”
- Nanny originally had an extra line after she tells Keith, Lance and Pidge to bring Allura back: “Well? Go!!
... Before she's hurt!”
- Deleted from the scene of Allura being smacked by Nanny was a close-up shot of the Princess' pained face as Nanny strikes her behind.
Incidentally, Allura's line “Stop! I'm not a baby!” was intended to be heard in this shot, but the deletion of the shot resulted in the line being placed in the recycled shot of Nanny slapping the
- After Coran says he'll send someone to Crown Mountain, a line from Nanny was deleted: “You'll send
- After saying “I've been ready!” Hunk originally had an extra line: “Now -- le'me at 'em!”
- Deleted from the shot of Nanny diving behind a boulder right before the Robeast stomps his hand into the
ground was a scream of “Help!!” from Nanny.
Some lines of dialogue were originally scripted differently. This section details the noteworthy differences.
- Keith's line “Set all keys!” was originally scripted as: “Set the key!”
- Yurak's line “Those puny lions will never have a chance against the Robeast monster!” was originally
scripted as: “Those puny lions will never have a chance against the Ro-Bug monster!”