When the mysterious Prince Bokar saves Princess Allura in a training drill gone wrong, he is invited to the Castle of Lions and eventually offered the position of Blue Lion pilot. However, Lance has reservations about the prince and does not believe he is of royalty. His suspicions are confirmed when Bokar kidnaps Allura and steals the Blue Lion.
WRITTEN BY: Jack Paritz
TIMED BY: Bernice Albrecht
ORIGINAL AIR DATE: September 26, 1984
- The pull-back shot of Bokar kicking the kneeling Lance on to his back at the end of their fight was almost cut from the episode.
- The shot of Lance angrily exiting his quarters after the fight with the snakes was optically matted in
the unremastered version of the episode to remove the sight of dead snakes on the floor. The shot is
not matted in the remastered version of the episode.
- Keith's line “We can't blast him with the Princess aboard! We can't!” is missing from the remastered
version of the episode.
When Voltron was dubbed from Golion, the series suffered a number of edits, mostly to remove material that was considered objectionable or inappropriate for Voltron. However, some of the deleted material was intended to be featured in the series only to wind up on the cutting room floor anyway. This section details what deleted material was intended to be featured in "The Stolen Lion". Also detailed here are lines of dialogue that was scripted (and likely recorded) but not present in the episode.
- Deleted from the scene of Lance being attacked by cobras was a shot of Lance slicing several
cobras in half with his dagger.
Also deleted from the scene was a close-up shot of mutilated dead cobras on the floor outside Lance's quarters at the end of the fight. The deletion of the shot also resulted in the deletion of a one word line of dialogue from an off-screen Bokar in which queries “Cobras?”
- Trimmed from the shot of Voltron slicing Bokar-Robeast was blood flowing from Bokar-Robeast's
fatal wound and blue electrical beams emanating from around Voltron's body.
- Deleted from the close-up shot of Voltron's face after he slices Bokar-Robeast was a line from Keith
yelling: “More power!!”
Incidentally, this line was not originally in the script.
Some lines of dialogue were originally scripted differently. This section details the noteworthy differences.
- Pidge's line “I think this training session is too hard for the Princess!” was originally scripted as: “I'd
stop 'em. Princess is in over her head.”
- Bokar's line “Do I look like I would harm your Princess?” was originally scripted as: “Do I look like I
would harm you, Princess Allura?”
- Lance's line “That's it, Prince!” was originally scripted as: “That's it, man!”
- Lance's line “No prince goes cruising around space all by himself!” was originally scripted as: “No
prince goes flapping around space all by himself!”
- Hunk, Pidge and Keith's simultaneous line of “Don't shoot him!” was originally scripted as: “Don't kill
- Keith's line “Now, let's stop him!” was originally scripted as: “Now what do we do?”