Fed up with Yurak's constant failures, King Zarkon orders Yurak to be banished from Doom. But Zarkon's son, the newly-returned Prince Lotor, offers Yurak a chance at redemption: allow himself to be transformed into a Robeast and fight Voltron to the death.
WRITTEN BY: Coslough Johnson
TIMED BY: Muriel Germano
ORIGINAL AIR DATE: October 2, 1984
- This episode marks the first appearance of Prince Lotor and the final appearance of Yurak.
- Lotor is referred to as an Orkan in the script. It's not clear if this is a canonical description of his race, however.
- The shots of Yurak being sliced, staggering backwards and then falling to the ground were at one point going to be edited out and replaced with a shot of Voltron bringing his Blazing Sword down, a shot that would have likely been lifted from Episode 5 “The Princess Joins Up”.
When Voltron was dubbed from Golion, the series suffered a number of edits, mostly to remove material that was considered objectionable or inappropriate for Voltron. However, some of the deleted material was intended to be featured in the series only to wind up on the cutting room floor anyway. This section details what deleted material was intended to be featured in "Yurak Gets His Pink Slip". Also detailed here are lines of dialogue that was scripted (and likely recorded) but not present in the episode.
- Deleted from the shot of Zarkon and Lotor hugging was a line of dialogue from Zarkon: “You've been away so long!”
- Also deleted from Lotor's return was brief moment where Lotor tells Zarkon that his conquests were successful. The moment as presented in the script (which features Lotor's original name of Kargil):
- Deleted from the end of the shot of Zarkon and Lotor when Zarkon yells “Voltron!” was Lotor saying to his father: “It's only a machine!”
- Deleted from Lotor's attack on Arusians was a shot of a woman being shot in the back and presumably killed.
Some lines of dialogue were originally scripted differently. This section details the noteworthy differences.
- Lotor's line “Riches of planets I have conquered, and many spaceships filled with strong slaves, and the plunder of the entire galaxy!” was originally scripted as: “And I have brought back to you, my father, many, many, spaceships filled with slaves and the riches I've conquered throughout the universe!”
- Lotor's line “That is why you have been transformed into a robot monster...to destroy Planet Arus and the Voltron Force!” was originally scripted as: “That is why you have been transformed into a robot monster...to destroy Arus!!!!!!”
- Hunk's line “Welcome back!” was originally scripted as: “About time!”
The line was changed to avoid redundancy as Lance says the same thing before Hunk did.
- Lotor's line “You have won this battle, Voltron Force, but I, Lotor, son of Zarkon, vow that I will return to destroy Voltron and all of Arus!” was originally scripted as (Lotor's original name of Kargil has been retained here for posterity): “Voltron Force...you have won this battle but I, Kargil, Son of Zarkon, vow that I will soon return to destroy you, Voltron, and all of Arus!!!!!!”