The Sea Team are sent into a black hole to investigate the source of a mysterious mayday signal, unaware that they are falling into a Drule trap.
WRITTEN BY: Jack Paritz
TIMED BY: Jill Yamanaka
ORIGINAL AIR DATE: November 10, 1984
- The reason why Rocky says “We'll pay you not to cook!” in Jeff's voice instead of his own is because writer Jack Paritz appears to have mistaken Rocky for Jeff in the shot.
When Voltron was dubbed from Dairugger XV, the series suffered a number of edits, mostly to remove material that was considered objectionable or inappropriate for Voltron. However, some of the deleted material was intended to be featured in the series only to wind up on the cutting room floor anyway. This section details what deleted material was intended to be featured in "Goodbye, New World". Also detailed here are lines of dialogue that was scripted (and likely recorded) but not present in the episode.
- A shot of the Explorer after Krik tells Hawkins something is ahead of the Sea Team was deleted. Hawkins' response in which he asks Krik if the Sea Team can make out what they've spotted was scripted to be heard in the shot of the Explorer, but when the shot was deleted Hawkins' line was moved to the shot of the Explorer's bridge.
- A line of dialogue from Hawkins saying “What?!” after being told the Explorer has again lost contact with the Sea Team was deleted.
- Deleted from the split-screen shot of the Sea Team prior to the Aqua Fighter disengaging was Krik's team mates simultaneously yelling “All set!” in response to his instruction to prepare for disengaging.
Incidentally, Krik's next line of “Then here we go!” was scripted to be heard at the end of the split-screen shot following the “All set line!”, but when that line (and accompanying footage) was deleted Krik's line was moved to the shot of the Aqua Fighter disengaging.
- A split-screen shot of the Sea Team yelling “Hit him!” as they approach the Robeast was deleted.
- Deleted from the scene of Malvor's aide remarking that the Robeast has challenged Voltron was a line of dialogue from a Drule officer sitting at the ship's floor monitor telling Malvor's aide: “Something's happened! The power drain of the black hole is slowing Voltron no longer!”
- Deleted from the Robeast's demise was a very brief sequence showing a close-up of the tip of Voltron's sword flashing as Voltron brings the weapon down, followed by a looped close-up shot of the sword smashing into the Robeast's head.
Some lines of dialogue were originally scripted differently. This section details the noteworthy differences.
- Hazar's line regarding the Explorer drifting leisurely through space and that the space explorers are relaxing was originally scripted as: “My informant aboard their command ship tells me that, at this very moment, they're just drifting leisurely through space. No plans are being made to launch exploration vehicles toward another habitable planet. The Space Explorers are just lolling about, being amused and entertained.”
A follow-up line from the Drule leader, “It would save us a great deal of costly effort if they left on their own!”, was originally scripted as: “It would save us a great deal of costly effort if they left of their own volition.”
- Cliff's line “Hey, chef, you're in the wrong business!” was originally scripted as: “Hey, man, you're in the wrong business!”
- Tangor's line “I've worked with Krik a long time.” was originally scripted as: “I've worked under Krik for a long time.”
- Krik's line “Our energy's going, but we'll keep looking as long as it holds out.” was originally scripted as: “Our energy's depleting fast, but we'll keep looking as long as it holds out.”
- Tangor's line “Who knows what those little devils are.” was originally scripted as: “Following us? What are those little devils?”
- Krik's line “It's trying to push us into the black hole!” was originally scripted as: “It's pushing us right into the black hole -- or trying to!”
- Zandee's line “The rockets would use all our stored energy. If they didn't work we'd be in trouble!” was originally scripted as: “It would dissipate too much energy. If it didn't work, what then?”
A follow-up line from Tangor, “We gotta do somethin' pretty fast!”, was originally scripted as: “We'll have to do something pretty soon!
- Zandee's line “Whew! Close!” was originally scripted as: “Wheeeeew! Made it!”
- Zandee's line “That Robeast looks tough!” was originally scripted as: “We're really up against it now!"
- Tangor's line “Take that, Robeast!” was originally scripted as: “Take that, you monster!”
Incidentally, both versions of the line were not originally in the script.
- Jeff's line “Krik, sometimes you seem to know what's going to happen before it happens.” was originally scripted as: “Krik -- you sometimes seem to know what's going to happen before it happens.”
One of Krik's follow-up lines, “Aliens wouldn't understand.” was originally scripted as: “You aliens wouldn't understand.”