A new Alliance supply base is established under the command Colonel Cross. When the Drules attack the
base, Cross, out of pride, refuses to call the Voltron Force for help. When Krik senses something is wrong at
the base, the Voltron Force fly to the base only for Jeff to wind up being knocked out during the course of
the fighting, forcing the rest of the Voltron Force to form Voltron without his head.
WRITTEN BY: Jack Paritz
TIMED BY: Jill Yamanaka
ORIGINAL AIR DATE: December 19, 1984
- This episode somewhat marks the first appearance of Colonel Carver, despite appearing in previous episodes under different names and with different voices.
- This episode marks the final appearance of Colonel Cross.
- The flight announcer's line to Commander Hawkins telling him his flight is ready to launch and that
he's to check in at Gate 4 was scripted to be delivered by a female voice.
- The “Laundry” sign (misspelt as 'Laundly') above Miss Gertz when she
furiously yells at Hutch after he drops his washing on her is not visible in the unremastered version
of the episode, which was optically painted out to hide the spelling mistake.
- Sammy the chef's surname is revealed in this episode.
- This is the only episode where someone other than Jeff utters the Voltron formation dialogue.
When Voltron was dubbed from Dairugger XV, the series suffered a number of edits, mostly to remove material that was considered objectionable or inappropriate for Voltron. However, some of the deleted material was intended to be featured in the series only to wind up on the cutting room floor anyway. This section details what deleted material was intended to be featured in "Defend The New World". Also detailed here are lines of dialogue that was scripted (and likely recorded) but not present in the episode.
- Deleted from after Sparks telling Jeff that communications are okay was a shot of two Explorer
bridge personnel, with one saying “Okay on the fuel systems.”
- Deleted from the dinner scene at the supply base was a shot of two Garrison personnel eating, a
shot of the planet's red moon half visible behind a mountain as waves splash at the bottom of the
mountain, and a close-up shot of waves breaking on the beach.
- Deleted from the start of Cross' stating he doesn't want the Explorer back was a one-word line of
dialogue from him: “Right!”
- Deleted from Sparks' announcement of the Annual Explorer Art Show winner was a shot of several
Explorer personnel running through a passageway to get to the observation salon.
- Deleted from before Cross' proclamation he won't leave the base a loser was an extra line from him:
“Yes, it's my pride!”
Some lines of dialogue were originally scripted differently. This section details the noteworthy differences.
- Krik's line “It says 'I am a tomato!'” was originally scripted as: “Sure, it says, 'I'm a tomato!'”
- Cliff's line “I thought it was a badly worn fur coat!” was originally scripted as: “I thought it was a
badly worn fur overcoat!”
- Cross' line “No!” after the base radioman tells him he's calling the Explorer was originally scripted as:
- Jeff's line “This one I'll take care of personally!” was originally scripted as: “This one I'm going to
take care of personally!”